Friday, August 29, 2008

FYSOP!

I got to move in early and participate in the First Year Student Outreach Program. I was in the issue area disabilities. And I couldn't ask for anything better seeing as I am planning on majoring in special education. Jess and I were partners at the Aspergers Association of New England. There we spent the day socializing, drawing, eating, making t-shirts, and just having fun. Jess seemed very timid and stand-offish at the beginning. As time went on we really connected and before she left she asked me if I'd be coming again to volunteer. Ah, it was a wonderful feeling to know that we did build a bond and she had just as much fun as I did. Btw, Aspergers Syndrome is very similar to Autism. They have social problems most of the time. However, some of them can be geniuses such as Albert Einstein! There are both high and low functioning forms of it as well.
My group at FYSOP decided to take a picture of a huge handicapped sign! haha. I really grew close to these people and have hopefully formed friendships that will last through school and community service activities. FYSOP ended tonight... sad :(


This was Marjorie. I can't even explain what I felt this day. She was blind from a form of cancer that destroyed her vision. This was the Greater Boston's Blind association. I was able to help Marj finish a bag she had been making from last winter! I also led a group of them in chair exercises and sang some pretty good songs :) But really, Marj and I connected so well and it was just incredible to hear about her life then and her life now.

Overall, I can't even describe the feelings I felt and gratitude I have. I went into this thinking I was going to be a good citizen and great person by volunteering my time and money for these people. Ah! I quickly found out it's not me, they are the great people. People with disabilities endure things that I can't comprehend. They have every right to despise life but most choose to endure and look at the blessings they have... and I realized the blessings I often overlook. And from what I've seen, most of those who have decided to look at the positive things despite their disabilities, also believe in Christ. I don't think that is coincidence. In the words of my friend bailey, I think its a godicence.

7 comments:

Shari Tate said...

I MISS YOU!!!

But I'm so excited for this new venture in your life! I can honestly FEEL your passion for this school and the program you are involved in through your words!
I love ya!

nbingham said...

Sadi- What a great experience you are having. It's a great time to enjoy your life, enjoy others lives and really get to know yourself and the Savior. I am really jealous. Also- the east coast is "wicked" awesome. What until the fall and you'll wonder where the colors all came from. I served my mission in upstate New York. So very cool. Have fun and meet some new people would ya?
Natalie

Jessie Nichols said...

Sadi- You are just awesome! I always tell your mom that I hope my girls turn out as wonderful as your family. You are a true inspiration...even to a old lady like me. Glad to see all is going well and keep enjoying every minute!

Bobby and Shanna said...

Sadi babe... I am so glad to see you doing so well...I know you have it in ya... have fun..keep us all posted with everything that happens.. oh, I need to get you the name & number of our friends that live 5 minutes from Boston College..they are really really nice...

The Curry Family said...

Sadi, I am so glad that you are loving your time in Boston. How's school going now that classes have started? I hope you'll be able to brave through the COLD winter...yuck! You should give my parents friends a call and make them take you to dinner. HA HA!! I love your blog, thanks for making it so we can keep up what's going on with you :)

Anonymous said...

Sadi! Your mom emailed me your blog address so I am ready to blog stalk....err...follow your happenings in Boston! My blog is jaxonsfam.blogspot.com
I love how involved you already are! (here's the YW pres in me coming out- Keep serving others and you will never feel too lonely!)

Michael and Dena said...

Hey Sadi looks like your having fun. We miss you tons. I'm glad you started a blog.